Water, Weather and Warnings
- NSW Government waterways webcams, including Lake Eucumbene
- Bureau of Meterology Meteye Service
- Reports on some river levels
Reporting Illegal Activities – Fisher’s Watch
Fisheries ask that you record the following information before reporting:
- Type of activity
- Time, date and location of activity
- Number of people and any descriptions
- Registration numbers of cars and boats.
- NSW Fishing Licence. The new digital licence can be obtained via an app – check here.
- The Recreational Fishing NSW Advisory Council represents anglers and makes recommendations to the Minister on the management of our fisheries
- The NSW Govt management of Crown Roads (specifically calls for submissions on proposed sales) is to be improved. Meantime here is the link to search for forthcoming proposed sales.
- Victorian Fishing Licence (note that ACT Seniors don’t need a licence). Also provides a link to the nifty Victorian Fishing Smartphone App.
- Monaro Acclimatisation Society While CAA is not a member/sub-branch of the MAS, their activities are of significant interest.
- Darwin Fly Rodders have invited us to share website links. An invitation for our members to engage when they visit is here.
- Upper Murrumbidgee Demonstration Reach have established an archive of their newsletters – you can sign up for your own copy here too.
- We received a great presentation by the Upper Murrumbidgee Demonstration Reach. A number of opportunities for CAA to be involved were discussed. Click here to see the presentation and ways you can help. Their 2015 report is available here. A report on their project with Upper Murrumbidgee Waterwatch “Carp Love 20 Degrees Celsius” – a community engagement initiative is here and a poster on the carp tagging/tracking project is here.
- Jason M spoke at the June 2015 meeting on Remote Area Communications. Check out the summary here to which also has some very useful links.
Other Web Resources
- Flick and Fly Journal.
- Council of Freshwater Anglers Newsletter Archive.
- Recreational Fishing Alliance NSW Newsletter Archive.
- Alan Bulmer’s Active Angling New Zealand blog – full of great articles and source of items for our own newsletter The Burley Line
- Ben tells me that “Davie McPhail’s YouTube channel is one of the most extensive fly tying resources on the web. If you need a given fly there is a possibility it will be in here.”
- Claude has provided some interesting e-fishing resources on the web:
Podcasts: search for Orvis Fly Fishing. Heaps and heaps of ‘very relaxed’ podcasts covering a range of topics. Also ABC’s the Big Fish: NSW and Canberra fishing information.
He particularly liked “The Flyfisher’s Podcast”. They said “What we have in the pipeline is informative chats with some big-name characters that we can’t wait to air. If you’re Aussie and you flyfish, you’re going to love this commentary”.https://theflyfisher.com.au/blogs/news/the-flyfishers-podcast
YouTube: Davie McPhail’s 3 killer nymph patterns. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st-f_S-Zwrg)
He and BJ found this useful chart matching bead sizes to hook sizes
- DPI now has a very useful page advising on historical fish stocking. Find those sites that MAS and others have put the fish paid for by your fishing licence.
- www.archive.org/ – this is a great resource for accessing old books etc. ACTFF member Brett Leyshon has also provided us with an excellent ‘how-to’.
- “World’s Best Freshwater Fishing Blog”? Claude must have seen this on WIN News. He tells me “Looks pretty good, but I didn’t go past the front page …because I’m still working ☹”. See for yourself here.
- Tiemco Hook Comparison Chart. Readers who live in small towns where the variety of hooks is limited might find it useful.
- Claude provided us with 50 Experts Share Their 3 Best Fly Fishing Tips | Epic Wilderness
- FlyLife Archive
- Fly Fishers International Fly of the Month – a huge repository of some classic ties
- Neil Grose Fly Tying Videos