Water, Weather and Warnings
- NSW Maritime Web Cams, including Lake Eucumbene
- Bureau of Meterology Meteye Service
- Reports on some river levels
Reporting Illegal Activities – Fisher’s Watch
Fisheries ask that you record the following information before reporting:
- Type of activity
- Time, date and location of activity
- Number of people and any descriptions
- Registration numbers of cars and boats.
- NSW Fishing Licence. The new digital licence can be obtained via an app – check here.
- The Recreational Fishing NSW Advisory Council represents anglers and makes recommendations to the Minister on the management of our fisheries
- The NSW Govt management of Crown Roads (specifically calls for submissions on proposed sales) is to be improved. Meantime here is the link to search for forthcoming proposed sales.
- Victorian Fishing Licence (note that ACT Seniors don’t need a licence). Also provides a link to the nifty Victorian Fishing Smartphone App.
- Monaro Acclimatisation Society While CAA is not a member/sub-branch of the MAS, their activities are of significant interest.
- Darwin Fly Rodders have invited us to share website links. An invitation for our members to engage when they visit is here.
- We received a great presentation by the Upper Murrumbidgee Demonstration Reach. A number of opportunities for CAA to be involved were discussed. Click here to see the presentation and ways you can help. Their 2015 report is available here. A report on their project with Upper Murrumbidgee Waterwatch “Carp Love 20 Degrees Celsius” – a community engagement initiative is here and a poster on the carp tagging/tracking project is here.
- Jason M spoke at the June 2015 meeting on Remote Area Communications. Check out the summary here to which also has some very useful links.
Other Web Resources
- Get your brown trout beanie (and perhaps soon rainbow also) from Cherry Tree Crochet
- Flick and Fly Journal.
- Council of Freshwater Anglers Newsletter Archive.
- Recreational Fishing Alliance NSW Newsletter Archive.
- Alan Bulmer’s Active Angling New Zealand blog – full of great articles and source of items for our own newsletter The Burley Line
- CAA member Evan also happens to be a commercial fly tier (though temporarily on hold). His involvement with our monthly fly tying workshops has brought an extra bonus. His website retains a very useful blog.
- Ben tells me that “Davie McPhail’s YouTube channel is one of the most extensive fly tying resources on the web. If you need a given fly there is a possibility it will be in here.”
- Claude has provided some interesting e-fishing resources on the web:
Podcasts: search for Orvis Fly Fishing. Heaps and heaps of ‘very relaxed’ podcasts covering a range of topics. Also ABC’s the Big Fish: NSW and Canberra fishing information
YouTube: Davie McPhail’s 3 killer nymph patterns. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st-f_S-Zwrg)
- DPI now has a very useful page advising on historical fish stocking. Find those sites that MAS and others have put the fish paid for by your fishing licence.
- www.archive.org/ – this is a great resource for accessing old books etc. ACTFF member Brett Leyshon has also provided us with an excellent ‘how-to’.
- “World’s Best Freshwater Fishing Blog”? Claude must have seen this on WIN News. He tells me “Looks pretty good, but I didn’t go past the front page …because I’m still working ☹”. See for yourself here.
- Tiemco Hook Comparison Chart. Lyall says “I used this comparison chart to find equivalent hooks for tying some yabby flies today. Others who live in small towns where the variety of hooks is limited might also find it useful. ”
- Claude provided us with 50 Experts Share Their 3 Best Fly Fishing Tips | Epic Wilderness
- FlyLife Archive
- Fly Fishers International Fly of the Month – a huge repository of some classic ties