Their draft Freshwater Fisheries Management Plan is now out for public comment!
The plan promotes a statewide approach to building better freshwater fisheries and celebrates record fish stockings, partnerships for improving fish habitat and an actively engaged recreational fishing community.
It brings all fish, water and land management elements together for 14 of our most popular recreational fish species such as trout, redfin, Murray cod, golden perch and bass.
The plan is a collaboration between fishers, Traditional Owners and stakeholders to:
· Improve fish habitat to help boost fish populations naturally
· Use recreational angler catch and effort data to help track the performance of fisheries
· Accelerate the recovery of threatened species, including Macquarie perch
· Expand the breeding and stocking program of native fish
· Create the next generation of responsible anglers
· Promote our best recreational fisheries as tourism destinations.
The plan complements our record $46 million investment into Target One Million, which includes $9 million from fishing licence fees, to get one million Victorians fishing by 2020.
To view the plan and make a submission by 22 March 2018, visit: www.vfa.vic.gov.au/freshwaterplan